My most-talented and determined husband gets credit for this amazing recipe. Being a former dairy lover, he began a quest to create a totally believable and tasty quiche that is not only completely dairy- free, but also lower in fat and higher in protein than the original. It is also the best tasting veggie quiche I’ve ever had.
Note: While he is usually a “dash and pinch”-type cook, his experimentation yielded a few quiches that tasted good but were not the desired consistency. The below recipe yields a perfect consistency, so follow the measurements closely so that you will not be disappointed by a quiche soup!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6-8 mushrooms, we use baby portabellas, sliced
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pre-made pie crust, (we like Wholly Wholesome Organic Whole Wheat, but for the gluten-free crowd, Gillians makes an excellent gluten free pre-made crust)
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1 tsp soy milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese (Note: we have used both the cheddar and mozzarella versions of Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheese – both came out excellent so it is entirely your option as to what variety you choose)
- 3-4 very thin slices of tomato
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion, garlic and mushrooms about 4 minutes until onion is transparent
- Add spinach and stir, heat only enough to wilt spinach
- In a food processor or blender, process the tofu, soy milk and spices until smooth. Add the veggies and pulse or lightly blend
- Add vegan cheese and pulse or lightly blend
- Carefully pour mixture into the pie crust
- Layer the sliced tomatoes across the top of the quiche
- Bake for 50 minutes to one hour.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting, otherwise it will fall apart when served
That’s it! Really easy but you don’t have to tell anyone – I suggest serving this dish at a dinner party and only announcing to the guests it is vegan after they devour it!
For more Healthy Recipes check out Peachtree Natural Foods.com, they have a wide variety of Healthy Recipes!